- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty to twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups or lightly coat with nonstick spray for baking; set aside. In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, beating until combined. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Stir in lemon peel. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare Lemon Cream Frosting; set aside. Spoon lemon curd into a decorating bag fitted with a large round or open star tip. Push tip into the top of each cupcake and force some of the lemon curd inside cake. Generously pipe or spread the frosting onto tops of cupcakes. If desired, cut lemon slices into quarters and place on top of cupcakes.
Lemon Cream Frosting
- Allow cream cheese and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and lemon curd. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until smooth. Gradually add 3 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in the 1 tablespoon milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make frosting spreading consistency.
Fern Conoley 1457 Days Ago
these were great! delicous!! the lemon curd in the middle was wonderful. i didnt have any curd, but i found a great recipie to make it at home at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/01/23/homemade-lemon-curd-in-under-10-minutes-no-joke-heres-how/ it was perfect. cant wait to stun the quests at my sister's graduation party with these! im sure they will be a big hit!