- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
to 4 cups Creamy White Frosting or canned creamy white frosting
Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red paste food coloring
to 32 2-1/2-inch cupcakes in paper bake cups (any flavor)
Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red fine or coarse decorating sugars
cups tiny marshmallows
1. Divide Creamy White Frosting into six portions.* Tint each portion a different color with food coloring. Place each color in a disposable pastry bag or heavy resealable plastic bag.
2. On a very large serving platter arrange cupcakes tightly together in a rainbow shape; use 6 to 8 cupcakes for the inside row, 8 to 10 cupcakes for the middle row, and 12 to 14 cupcakes for the outside row.
3. Snip off the tip of each pastry bag or one corner of each plastic bag. Pipe rows of colored frosting onto tops of cupcakes to make a large rainbow. If desired, use a narrow metal spatula to gently spread frosting to fill in gaps. Sprinkle matching sugars over colored frostings. Sprinkle marshmallows over frosting at each end of the rainbow to resemble clouds. Makes 26 to 32 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
Creamy White Frosting: In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup shortening, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons milk. Gradually beat in another 2 cups powdered sugar. Gradually add another 1 to 2 tablespoons milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
Test Kitchen Tip: The top red band of the rainbow will require the most frosting and subsequent bands of frosting will require less, so divide frosting accordingly.
- Total Fat (g)14
- Saturated Fat (g)6,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g)4,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2,
- Cholesterol (mg)43,
- Sodium (mg)135,
- Carbohydrate (g)47,
- Total Sugar (g)36,
- Protein (g)3,
- Calcium (DV%)3,
- Iron (DV%)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet