cups Creamy White Frosting or canned creamy white frosting
Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red paste food coloring
2 1/2 inches cupcakes in paper bake cups (any flavor)
Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red fine or coarse decorating sugars
cups tiny marshmallows
- Divide Creamy White Frosting into six portions.* Tint each portion a different color with food coloring. Place each color in a disposable pastry bag or heavy resealable plastic bag.
- On a very large serving platter arrange cupcakes tightly together in a rainbow shape; use 6 to 8 cupcakes for the inside row, 8 to 10 cupcakes for the middle row, and 12 to 14 cupcakes for the outside row.
- Snip off the tip of each pastry bag or one corner of each plastic bag. Pipe rows of colored frosting onto tops of cupcakes to make a large rainbow. If desired, use a narrow metal spatula to gently spread frosting to fill in gaps. Sprinkle matching sugars over colored frostings. Sprinkle marshmallows over frosting at each end of the rainbow to resemble clouds. Makes 26 to 32 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip:
The top red band of the rainbow will require the most frosting and subsequent bands of frosting will require less, so divide frosting accordingly.
Creamy White Frosting
teaspoon almond extract
cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts(End-of-the-Rainbow Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 328 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 135 mg sodium,
- 47 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 36 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet