Cherry Baby Cakes
A recipe large enough for a crowd, these sweet, cherry-filled cakes look pretty on a dessert table at a potluck.
- Yields: about 30 small cakes
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 12 mins 350°F
Cherry Baby Cakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line thirty 1-3/4-inch muffin cups with miniature paper bake cups;* set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Spoon 1 scant teaspoon of batter into each muffin cup. Add 1/2 teaspoon of cherry marmalade and top with 1/2 teaspoon additional batter.
- Bake cupcakes about 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
- Pat cherries dry with clean paper toweling. Frost each cupcake with about 1/2 teaspoon icing. Dip half of each cherry into remaining icing; place on top of baby cakes. Makes about 30 small cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If you dont have 1-3/4-inch muffin cups, line sixteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Prepare batter as directed. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared muffin cup. Add 1 teaspoon of marmalade and another tablespoon of batter. (You will only use about 1/3 cup marmalade.) Bake about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Frost with Powdered Sugar Icing. Add a cherry as directed above. (You will only need 16 cherries.)
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a medium bowl stir together powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla. Stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Baby Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 63 kcal cal.,
- 1 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 6 mg chol.,
- 36 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 7 g sugar
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet