Pet Shop Cupcakes
cups Creamy White Frosting or canned white frosting
Yellow food coloring
2 1/2 inches cupcakes in paper bake cups (any flavor)
Pink and white tiny marshmallows
Black licorice laces
Red and blue miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces
cup Chocolate Butter Frosting or canned chocolate frosting
Log-shape chocolate caramel candies, such as Tootsie Rolls
Pink chewy fruit-flavor square candies, such as Starburst
Pink food coloring
Miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
Pink decorating sugar
- For tabby cat cupcakes, tint one-third of the Creamy White Frosting with yellow food coloring. Place yellow frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip. Pipe yellow frosting in spikes onto four of the cupcakes.
- Slice three large marshmallows crosswise into quarters; place two pieces, side by side, on the center of each frosted cupcake and add a pink tiny marshmallow for nose. Attach licorice whiskers with white frosting.
- Cut the remaining marshmallow quarters into triangles; use frosting to attach marshmallow triangles to the tops of cupcakes for ears. Add red miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces for eyes and mouths.
- For floppy-ear dog cupcakes, frost four of the cupcakes with white frosting. Place some of the chocolate frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a round tip. Pipe chocolate patches randomly onto cupcakes (so cupcakes resemble beagles). Cut two large marshmallows crosswise into quarters; place two pieces, side by side, on the center of each cupcake and add a white tiny marshmallow for nose. Attach licorice whiskers with white frosting. Add blue miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces for eyes. Pipe small chocolate spots on the large and tiny marshmallows.
- Place four chocolate caramel and four pink chewy candies on waxed paper. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 5 to 10 seconds or until softened. Mold the pink candies into tongue shapes, cutting off excess, if necessary. When cool and firm, attach a tongue to each cupcake below nose, securing with frosting, if necessary. Cut each of the four chocolate candies in half; mold each half into a long, oval floppy ear. When firm, attach two ears to each cupcake, securing with frosting if necessary.
- For pink poodle cupcakes, tint the remaining white frosting with pink food coloring. Place pink frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip. Pipe frosting in spikes on the remaining four cupcakes. Cut two large marshmallows crosswise into quarters; place two pieces, side by side, on the center of each cupcake and add a pink tiny marshmallow for nose.
- Place four pink chewy candies on waxed paper. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 5 to 10 seconds or until softened. Cut each candy in half; form each half into a long, oval ear. When firm, attach two ears to each cupcake.
- Cut four white tiny marshmallows crosswise in half and arrange two pieces on each cupcake for eyes; top each with a miniature chocolate piece, using white frosting. Add a heart-shape candy to each for mouth and sprinkle the large marshmallow pieces with pink decorating sugar. Makes 12 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
Creamy White Frosting
teaspoon almond extract
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar. Gradually add milk until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes about 3 cups.
Chocolate Butter Frosting
cup softened butter
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in cocoa powder. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 1/2 cup milk and anilla. Gradually beat in an additional 6 cups powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to reach spreading consistency. Makes enough to frost tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers.
Nutrition Facts(Pet Shop Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 139 mg sodium,
- 58 g carb.,
- 46 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet