- Makes: 24 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Yields: 24 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cool: 45 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 18 mins 350°F
- Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. (Batter may appear curdled.) Fold in chocolate pieces.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Just before serving, spoon Ricotta Frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Insert tip into the top of each cupcake; squeeze some of the frosting into the center of each cupcake. Generously pipe remaining frosting onto tops of cupcakes. Sprinkle with pistachio nuts and grated chocolate. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Makes 24 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup liquid. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Store frosted cupcakes in a single layer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat in vanilla and salt. Gradually add 4 cups of the powdered sugar, beating until combined. Beat in ricotta cheese. Beat in additional powdered sugar. Beat in milk until frosting is light and fluffy and reaches a piping consistency. Makes 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Cannoli Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 420 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg chol.,
- 184 mg sodium,
- 68 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 57 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet