Buttercakes with Sour Cream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with electric mixer on medium-high for about 1 minute. Add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with buttermilk, and beating on low after each addition until combined.
- Fill lined muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- Frost with Sour Cream Frosting. Refrigerate 2 to 24 hours. Makes 24 cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed above. Before frosting, with the handle of a wooden spoon, make an indentation in the center of each cupcake. Spoon or pipe a scant teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Frost with Sour Cream Frosting. Top with sugar flowers. (Find sugar flowers among baking ingredients at the grocery store, or at baking supply stores.)
Sour Cream Frosting
- In large mixing bowl beat butter with mixer 30 seconds; beat in sour cream. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Beat in vanilla and milk. Use at once or refrigerate up to 3 days. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before using. Frost cupcakes with a knife, or spoon frosting into large resealable plastic bag. Snip one corner of bag and squeeze to pipe onto cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts (Buttercakes with Sour Cream Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 397 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 65 mg chol.,
- 195 mg sodium,
- 63 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 53 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet