Bird's Nest Cupcakes
- Makes: 28 servings
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Prep: 1 hr 30 mins
- Stand: 30 mins
- Bake: 15 mins to 17 mins 350°F
Bird's Nest Cupcakes
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line twenty-eight 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. In a medium bowl stir together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl combine sour cream, orange juice, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Frost cupcakes with Citrus Frosting. In a small microwave-safe bowl microwave candy coating on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. Stir; microwave for 20 to 30 seconds more or until completely melted. In a large bowl combine chow mein noodles and the melted candy coating. Shape chow mein mixture into a nest on top of each cupcake.*
- Add candy-coated milk chocolate candies to each nest. Makes 28 (2-1/2 inch) cupcakes.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If mixture begins to set up, heat it in the microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 10 seconds at a time until softened.
- In a medium bowl stir together frosting and lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Bird's Nest Cupcakes)
- Per serving:
- 304 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 52 mg chol.,
- 194 mg sodium,
- 41 g carb.,
- 26 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet