- Yields: 10 sandwiches
- Prep: 30 mins
- Slow Cook: 8 hrs to 9 hrs (low) or 4 to 4-1/2 hours (high) plus 30 minutes (high)
Cuban Sandwiches with Dilled Cucumbers
teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon black pepper
2 1/2 pound pork sirloin roast
recipe Dilled Cucumbers
medium orange, yellow, and/or red sweet peppers, thinly sliced crosswise
medium banana peppers, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
tablespoons yellow mustard
whole grain ciabatta buns, split (about 12 ounces total)
ounces thinly sliced cooked lower-sodium ham
- In a small bowl combine dry mustard, cumin, and black pepper. Trim fat from roast. If necessary, cut roast to fit in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle roast evenly with dry mustard mixture. Place roast in cooker. Add the water to cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 4-1/2 hours. Meanwhile, prepare Dilled Cucumbers. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Add sweet peppers and banana peppers to slow cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
- Remove pork from cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred pork. Stir pork into the cooking liquid in cooker.
- Spread yellow mustard over split sides of ciabatta buns. Using a slotted spoon, divide pork among bun halves. Place ham over pork. Using a slotted spoon, remove peppers from cooker and spoon over ham. Using a slotted spoon, spoon Dilled Cucumbers onto sandwiches. If desired, drizzle some of the cucumber liquid over the sandwiches.
cup cider vinegar
cup light mayonnaise
teaspoons snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
large English cucumbers
- In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, mayonnaise, dill, and salt. Thinly slice cucumbers; add to mayonnaise mixture with the red onion slivers. Toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 4 hours before serving. Makes about 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Sandwiches with Dilled Cucumbers)
- Per serving:
- 294 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 72 mg chol.,
- 498 mg sodium,
- 25 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet