Liven up a weeknight dinner with this easy Cuban-style chicken. A squeeze of the lime wedges will give the dish a fresh finish.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Slow Cook: 5 hrs to 6 hrs (low)
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine sweet pepper, onion, and jalapeno pepper. Add chicken. In a medium bowl stir together tomatoes, frozen corn, broth, olives, tapioca, chili powder, garlic, salt, cumin, and black pepper. Pour over chicken in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid in cooker. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Using two forks pull chicken apart into shreds. Return chicken to cooker, stirring to combine.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve chicken mixture with tortillas, brown rice, and lime wedges. Drizzle chicken with some of the cooking liquid.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly with foil. Heat about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Per serving:
- 333 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 43 mg chol.,
- 709 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 13 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet