- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 1 2/3 cups
- Yields: 10 cups
- Prep: 15 mins
- Slow Cook: 7 hrs to 8 hrs (low) or 3 to 4 hours (high) + 15 minutes (low)
Cuban Arroz Con Pollo
Nonstick cooking spray
pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
cups chopped green sweet peppers (4 medium)
cups chopped roma tomatoes
cup chopped onion (1 large)
tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoons ground paprika
teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon ground black pepper
10 ounce package frozen cooked brown rice or 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
10 ounce package frozen peas
cups sliced roasted red sweet peppers
cup sliced pitted green olives
- Coat an extra-large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, half at a time if necessary, in hot skillet until brown. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine sweet peppers, tomatoes, onion, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Top with chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- If using high-heat setting, turn to low-heat setting. If using frozen rice, prepare according to package directions. Stir cooked rice, peas, roasted peppers, and olives into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Anchiote (ah-chee-OH-tay) powder is traditional in this dish, offering a slightly tart flavor and brilliant yellow-red hue. Add a tablespoon along with the paprika if you like.
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Arroz Con Pollo)
- Per serving:
- 297 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 108 mg chol.,
- 646 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet