Cuban Arroz Con Pollo
- Coat an extra-large skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, half at a time if necessary, in hot skillet until brown. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine sweet peppers, tomatoes, onion, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Top with chicken.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- If using high-heat setting, turn to low-heat setting. If using frozen rice, prepare according to package directions. Stir cooked rice, peas, roasted peppers, and olives into mixture in cooker. Cover and cook about 15 minutes more or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Anchiote (ah-chee-OH-tay) powder is traditional in this dish, offering a slightly tart flavor and brilliant yellow-red hue. Add a tablespoon along with the paprika if you like.
Nutrition Facts (Cuban Arroz Con Pollo)
- Per serving:
- 297 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 108 mg chol.,
- 646 mg sodium,
- 30 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 28 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Jaime 931 Days Ago
I thought this recipe was good. It was nice to have a different chicken recipe.