Crunchy Grain Cakes with Strawberry Salad
- For Grain Cakes, preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. In a large saucepan cook rice according to package directions for the minimum time suggested, omitting any fat or seasoning packets; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together yogurt, egg, bread crumbs, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add rice to yogurt mixture; stir to combine.
- In a large nonstick skillet cook and stir cumin seed in 1 Tbsp. hot oil for 2 minutes. Add red onion; cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until onion is tender. Stir cumin seed and onions into rice mixture; cool slightly. Form mixture into 3-inch patties. Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat. Cook patties, half at a time, about 2 minutes each side or until crisp. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven to keep warm.
- Serve grain cakes with Strawberry Salad.
From the Test Kitchen
If your rice blend includes several different whole grains, shape patties on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Fry 1/3 at a time over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side. Keep warm in oven.
- In a large bowl combine the bok choy, strawberries, and red onion; toss to combine.
- For dressing, in a small screw-top jar combine walnut oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well to combine. Pour dressing over salad; toss to combine. Serve with Grain Cakes.
Nutrition Facts (Crunchy Grain Cakes with Strawberry Salad)
- Per serving:
- 468 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 766 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 14 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet