Crumb-Topped Apple Slab Pie
The day before:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together 2 1/4 cups flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. Repeat with additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour mixture is moistened. Gather flour mixture into a ball, kneading gently until it holds together.
- On a lightly floured surface slightly flatten pastry. Roll pastry from center to edges into a 19x13-inch rectangle. Wrap pastry rectangle around rolling pin; unroll into a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Ease pastry into baking pan without stretching it. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edges of pan. Fold under extra pastry even with edges of pan. Crimp edges as desired.
- In an extra-large bowl combine sugar, 1/3 cup flour, and cinnamon. Add apples; toss gently to coat. Transfer apple mixture to the pastry-lined baking pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with Crumb Topping (pan will be full).
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and filling is bubbly. If necessary, loosely cover top with foil during the last 5 to 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 25 pieces. If desired, transfer pieces to a large disposable foil pan. Tightly cover slab pie pieces in pan and let stand at room temperature overnight.*
- Tote slab pie pieces in pan at room temperature.
From the Test Kitchen
For longer storage, store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Large disposable foil pan (optional)
Blogger Variation by Robyn Stone of Add A Pinch
For Robyn's version, substitute 1/2 cup packed brown sugar for the 2/3 cup granulated sugar that is combined with the sliced apples in Step 3. When the apple mixture is placed in the crust, drizzle with 1/2 cup homemade caramel sauce or purchased caramel ice cream topping. For the crumb topping, substitute 1 cup pretzel pieces for the oats.
- In a large bowl, stir together quick-cooking rolled oats, packed brown sugar, and all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until topping mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in chopped pecans.
- In a medium heavy saucepan combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in half-and-half, the water, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly (mixture might look curdled). Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts (Crumb-Topped Apple Slab Pie)
- Per serving:
- 239 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 10 mg chol.,
- 111 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet