Creamy Pumpkin Butter Sandwich Cookies
- For shortbread, in a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup butter and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes, scraping bowl. Add the egg yolk and beat on low speed until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until combined. Stir, if necessary, to ensure that not flour bits remain in the bottom of the bowl.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly flour parchment. Place dough on the parchment and using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Slide the parchment onto a work surface. Remove plastic wrap. Use a 3-inch to 3 3/4-inch pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter to cut out dough. Place 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Use a paring knife, score lines on the pumpkin cutouts. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges and bottoms of the cookie are just lightly browned. Remove and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan combine the pumpkin, syrup, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and cloves. Stir over medium heat until thoroughly combined and just starts to bubble. Reduce heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. The mixture will be thick. Remove and transfer to a small bowl. Chill until cooled.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese for 1 minute or until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons butter and beat until combined. Add cooled pumpkin mixture. Beat until combined and smooth. Add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar and beat until combined. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat until smooth and thickened. Transfer to a small bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly.
- For chocolate dip, in a small saucepan heat chocolate and oil over low heat until melted and smooth.
- To assemble, dip each pumpkin cookie, stem side down, into chocolate to coat about 1/3 of the tops. Allow excess to drip off. Place on parchment paper and allow to stand until set. Chill to set, if necessary. Spread about 2 tablespoons filling onto the flat side of half of the cookies. Top each with a remaining cookie, flat sides down. Chill for 1 hour until filling is set before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Pumpkin Butter Sandwich Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 510 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 147 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 39 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
How To Video
Mary Lee Lavalley 368 Days Ago
These were cute and tasty. An adult cookie, brought as dessert to a dinner with my girlfriends. The cookie itself could be a little smaller (used a cutter that was within the 3 in range). After rolling it out to the right thickness and then sandwiching with the filling, it was hefty. I have some leftover dough from the cutouts that I will roll to the right thickness but with a smaller pumpkin shape. The filling could also be thicker, but everything tastes right. Definitely gets one in the Fall spirit!