Creamy Grits with Roasted Poblanos
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees . Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Halve peppers lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until charred. Bring foil up around peppers to enclose. Let stand for about 15 minutes or until cool. Use a sharp knife to loosen edges of the skins; gently pull off and discard skins. Cut peppers into 2-inch long, 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine peppers, broth, the water, grits, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a small amount of liquid is visible on top of grits.
- To serve, stir 1-1/2 cups of the cheese into the cooked grits; stir until cheese is melted. If grits become too thick, thin mixture with milk to desired consistency. Top each serving with some of the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Because hot chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Grits with Roasted Poblanos)
- Per serving:
- 254 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 497 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 1 g sugar,
- 12 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet