Creamy Fruit-Filled Crepes
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, milk, flour, oil, and salt until smooth. Heat a lightly greased 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; remove from heat. Spoon in 2 tablespoons of the batter; tilt skillet to spread batter evenly. Return to heat; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown on one side only. Invert over paper towels; remove crepe. Repeat with the remaining batter to make eight crepes total, greasing skillet occasionally. Set crepes aside.
- To assemble, place crepes browned sides down. Spoon desired filling onto half of each crepe. Fold unfilled half of crepe over filling. Arrange two filled crepes on each serving plate. Top with desired topping.
From the Test Kitchen
2. Herbed: Stir 1/4 cup snipped fresh herbs (basil, chervil, chives, and/or parsley) into the batter before making crepes. Fill crepes as desired.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 122 Calories, 5 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 8% Vitamin C, 112 mg sodium, 7% calcium, 7% iron.
3. Tomato-Avocado: Peel, seed, and mash 1 ripe avocado. Stir in 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro. Fill crepes evenly with 4 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno chile peppers, the mashed avocado, and 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes. Top filled crepes with 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro leaves.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 274 calories, 13 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 16 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 20% Vitamin A, 16% Vitamin C, 317 mg sodium, 30% calcium, 7% iron.
4. Ham and Gruyere: Stir together 2/3 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, and 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard. Fill crepes evenly with 5 ounces thinly sliced lean ham and the cheese mixture. Top filled crepes with 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 283 calories, 19 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 15 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 96 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 3 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 2% Vitamin C, 663 mg sodium, 33% calcium, 7% iron.
Creamy Fruit: In a small bowl stir together 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 teaspoon honey, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. If needed, stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin to desired consistency. Fill crepes evenly with cheese mixture and 2 cups sliced fresh fruit or halved berries (peeled sliced peaches, sliced strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and/or blueberries). Drizzle filled crepes with additional honey.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 271 calories, 6 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 13 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 18 g total sugar, 10% Vitamin A, 30% Vitamin C, 118 mg sodium, 10% calcium, 7% iron.
To Reheat Leftover Crepes:
Layer unfilled crepes between paper towels. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 20 to 40 seconds or until heated through. Wrap in foil. (Or, preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Layer unfilled crepes between sheets of parchment paper and wrap in foil. Bake about 15 minutes or until heated through.)
Meatless, Good for You
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Fruit-Filled Crepes)
- Per serving:
- 120 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 47 mg chol.,
- 110 mg sodium,
- 14 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet