Creamy Carrot and Millet Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
- In a 3- to 4-quart pot melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 10 minutes until tender. Add the carrots, millet, stock, and salt. Bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 35 minutes until millet and carrots are very tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer carrot and millet mixture to a food processor.* Cover and process until completely smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add milk and creme fraiche. Cover and process until smooth.
- Return carrot and millet mixture to the pot; cook and stir over low heat until heated through. For a thinner texture, stir in additional milk. To serve, top with Grilled Cheese Croutons, if desired. Sprinkle with green onion, dillweed, and paprika and coarse salt if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Grilled Cheese Croutons
Cut 6 oz. French baguette into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Brush one side of each slice with olive oil. Sandwich 2 oz. shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese between 2 baguette slices, oiled side out. Repeat with remaining slices. In a large nonstick skillet toast sandwiches over medium heat about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. Cool slightly; cut into pieces.
If using a blender, place a folded kitchen towel over the lid of the appliance and hold it down as you turn machine on and blend.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy Carrot and Millet Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 816 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.