- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 fennel bulb (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped white onion (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup half-and-half, light cream, or evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Ground white pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 recipe Homemade Croutons (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut off and discard fennel stalks, reserving some of the feathery tops. Remove any wilted outer layers from bulb; cut a thin slice from base of bulb. Cut bulb into 1/2-inch slices, removing core if desired. Snip feathery tops; set aside.
2. In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine fennel slices and onion. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast, uncovered, about 25 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.
3. Transfer roasted vegetables to a large saucepan. Stir in broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Cool slightly.
4. Transfer vegetable mixture, one-third at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half, grapefruit juice, and cumin. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with white pepper and additional salt.
5. Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook fennel seeds over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until light brown and fragrant, stirring frequently.
6. Top each serving with fennel tops, toasted fennel seeds, and, if desired, Homemade Croutons.
- Prepare as directed through Step 5. Cool soup slightly. Transfer soup to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. Place fennel tops and toasted fennel seeds in separate resealable plastic bags. Chill fennel tops for up to 2 days and store fennel seeds at room temperature for up to 2 days. To serve, transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve as directed in Step 6.
Yield: 2 cups
- 2 cups cubed sourdough, Italian or French bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Spread cubed sourdough, Italian or French bread in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Stir together olive oil, black pepper and kosher salt; pour over bread cubes, tossing to coat. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Stir; bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until crisp and brown. Makes 2 cups.
- Prepare as directed; cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 97,
- Fat, total (g) 5,
- chol. (mg) 11,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 10,
- fiber (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 3,
- sodium (mg) 416,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet