Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with Homemade Croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut off and discard fennel stalks, reserving some of the feathery tops. Remove any wilted outer layers from bulb; cut a thin slice from base of bulb. Cut bulb into 1/2-inch slices, removing core if desired. Snip feathery tops; set aside.
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan combine fennel slices and onion. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Roast, uncovered, about 25 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a large saucepan. Stir in broth and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 10 minutes or until potato is tender. Cool slightly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture, one-third at a time, to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half, grapefruit juice, and cumin. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with white pepper and additional salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook fennel seeds over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until light brown and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Top each serving with fennel tops, toasted fennel seeds, and, if desired, Homemade Croutons.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 5. Cool soup slightly. Transfer soup to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 2 days. Place fennel tops and toasted fennel seeds in separate resealable plastic bags. Chill fennel tops for up to 2 days and store fennel seeds at room temperature for up to 2 days. To serve, transfer soup to a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve as directed in Step 6.
- Spread cubed sourdough, Italian or French bread in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Stir together olive oil, black pepper and kosher salt; pour over bread cubes, tossing to coat. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Stir; bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until crisp and brown. Makes 2 cups.
Prepare as directed; cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts(Cream of Roasted Fennel Soup with Homemade Croutons)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 11 mg chol.,
- 416 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet