Cream of Fennel and Potato Soup
tablespoon olive oil
cups chopped fennel (1 1/2 pounds)
clove garlic, minced
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
ounces yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled and sliced
cup fat-free milk
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
ounces uncooked bulk turkey Italian sausage
teaspoons lemon juice
Slivered green onions (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add fennel, yellow onion, and garlic; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until fennel and onion are tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, potatoes, milk, and thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Transfer potato mixture, half at a time, to a food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to saucepan. Stir in sausage and lemon juice; heat through.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts(Cream of Fennel and Potato Soup)
- Per serving:
- 254 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 831 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 17 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet