Cream of Celery Root Soup
sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
sprigs fresh thyme
tablespoons unsalted butter
large leek, about 8 oz. white and light green part only, halved lengthwise and thinly slied crosswise into half-moons (1 cup)
large clove garlic, minced
large celery root, about 1 1/2 lb, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (5 cups)
teaspoons kosher salt
teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
cup whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream (75 ml)
Chicken broth (optional)
cup creme fraiche or sour cream
tablespoons finely snipped fresh chives
Very thin small pear slices (optional)
- For bouquet garni, place peppercorns, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme in center of an 8-inch square of cheesecloth. Bring up edges to form a bag; tie securely with kitchen string. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add leek. Cook and stir until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute more. Add water, celery root, salt, pepper and bouquet garni. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until the celery root fork tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard bouquet garni. Working in batches, puree soup with an immersion blender or food processor. Return soup to low heat. Stir in cream. Heat through. (Do not allow it to boil.) Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Thin soup with chicken broth, if desired. (The soup can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. Let cool, transfer to a covered container, and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat just before serving.)
- To serve, top soup with creme fraiche, chives and a few fresh pear slices. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts(Cream of Celery Root Soup)
- Per serving:
- 134 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 31 mg chol.,
- 599 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet