- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in dried cranberries. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and the 1/2 cup buttermilk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Cut each circle into six wedges. (Or instead of dividing dough in half, pat or lightly roll dough until 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch round cutter.)
- Place scones 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Lightly brush tops with additional buttermilk and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1/2 cup sour milk, place 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1/2 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry Scones)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 283 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet