- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in the flour mixture and the orange juice and vanilla. Stir in nuts and cranberries. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; divide into four equal portions. Shape each portion into an 11x2-inch roll. Place rolls 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1 egg and the water until frothy. Brush egg mixture evenly over rolls. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Place cookie sheets on wire racks; cool for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer rolls to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; bake about 10 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 116 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 23 mg chol.,
- 73 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet