Cranberry Cream Tartlets
cups finely crushed gingersnaps (about 30 cookies)
cup butter, melted
cup dried cranberries
cups sour cream
egg yolks, lightly beaten
teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
recipe Double Vanilla Whipped Cream
sugared fresh cranberries (optional)
Finely shredded orange peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together crushed gingersnaps and melted butter; press onto the bottoms and up the sides of eight 4-1/2-inch individual tart pans. Place tart pans on a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan bring the water to boiling. Remove from heat; stir in dried cranberries. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In another medium saucepan combine sour cream, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, and salt. Stir in the water-cranberry mixture. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and the 1/2 teaspoon orange peel. Spoon evenly into prepared tart shells. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Spoon Double Vanilla Whipped Cream into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe whipped cream onto the tarts. Remove tarts from pans; if desired, garnish each tart with three sugared cranberries and additional finely shredded orange peel. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
To make a single tart, prepare as directed, except use one 10- or 11-inch tart pan instead of individual pans.
Double Vanilla Whipped Cream
cups whipping cream
teaspoon vanilla paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
cup powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl combine whipping cream and vanilla paste. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft mounds form. Add powdered sugar; beat on high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
Nutrition Facts(Cranberry Cream Tartlets)
- Per serving:
- 600 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (22 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 193 mg chol.,
- 340 mg sodium,
- 61 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 37 g sugar,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet