- Yields: about 20 clusters
- Prep: 25 mins
- Microwave: 1 min
- Stand: 30 mins
cup puffed rice cereal
cup lightly salted cashews, coarsely chopped
cup dried cranberries, chopped
ounces vanilla-flavor candy coating, chopped
Dash freshly grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
Dash ground cinnamon
ounce semisweet chocolate pieces
Finely chopped cashews
- Line a large baking sheet with foil; set aside. Place puffed rice cereal in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Using a rolling pin, roll over bag to crush cereal lightly. In a large bowl combine crushed cereal, the 1 cup cashews, and the cranberries; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl microwave candy coating, nutmeg, and cinnamon, uncovered, on 100 percent power for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until candy coating melts, stirring every 30 seconds. Pour melted candy coating mixture over cereal mixture; stir until thoroughly combined.
- Quickly drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Let clusters stand about 30 minutes or until firm. In a small saucepan heat chocolate pieces and shortening over low heat until melted and smooth. Drizzle clusters with melted chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with additional finely chopped cashews.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer clusters between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts (Cranberry-Cashew Clusters)
- Per serving:
- 150 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 17 mg sodium,
- 16 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 12 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet