Cranberry-Apple Corn Bread Stuffing
cup butter or margarine
cups chopped celery with leaves (3 stalks)
cups crumbled corn bread or 6 cups corn bread stuffing mix (two 8-ounce packages)
cups dry white or wheat bread cubes
cups chopped unpeeled Granny Smith apples (3 medium)
cup dried cranberries, dried cherries, or raisins
teaspoon ground black pepper
cups chicken broth (if using stuffing mix, use 3 to 3 1/4 cups broth)
cup chicken broth (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
- Stir corn bread, bread cubes, apples, cranberries, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper into onion mixture. Drizzle with enough of the 1 3/4 to 2 cups broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine. Spoon stuffing into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. (To serve today, omit Step 3 and continue as directed in Step 4, except bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Uncover. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until hot in center [165 degrees F].)
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. If chilled, remove plastic wrap. If desired, drizzle stuffing with an additional 1/4 cup chicken broth to moisten. Bake, covered, for 45 minutes. Uncover. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until hot in center (165 degrees F).
Nutrition Facts(Cranberry-Apple Corn Bread Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 293 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 49 mg chol.,
- 648 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet