- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 6 cups peeled and chopped firm, ripe pears, such as Bartlett or Bosc (6 medium)
- 1 16 ounce packagefresh or frozen cranberries
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven combine pears and cranberries. Stir in sugar, the water, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
2. Boil gently, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sheets off a metal spoon,* stirring frequently. Cool before serving.
- To check if the mixture sheets, dip a metal spoon into the boiling mixture and hold it over the pan. When it is the right consistency, it will slide in sheets (rather than drips) from the spoon.
- Ladle hot cranberry mixture into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Makes 7 half-pints.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 6 months.
- Servings Per Recipe 84,
- cal. (kcal) 37,
- carb. (g) 10,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 9,
- vit. C (mg) 1,
- Potassium (mg) 19,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet