Crab and Poblano Soup
cup butter or margarine
cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 medium)
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon black pepper
14 ounce can chicken broth
ounces asadero cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1-1/2 cups)
6 1/2 ounce can lump crabmeat, drained, or 8 ounces fresh lump crabmeat, picked over and cut into bite-size pieces
recipe Fresh Tomato Salsa
recipe Crisp Tortilla Strips (optional)
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add chile peppers, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic; cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add broth all at once, stirring to combine. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in milk and cheese. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes more or until cheese melts. Stir in crabmeat; heat through.
- Top each serving with Fresh Tomato Salsa. If desired, serve with Crisp Tortilla Strips.
Crisp Tortilla Strips
6-inch flour tortillas
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll up each flour tortilla. Using a sharp knife, slice tortilla roll crosswise for long, thin strips. Lightly coat tortilla strips with nonstick cooking spray and spread on a baking sheet. Bake about 5 minutes or until golden. Cool.
Fresh Tomato Salsa
roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
green onion, thinly sliced
tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
teaspoons lime juice
teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno chile pepper
Salt and ground black pepper
- In a small bowl stir together tomatoes, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, and jalapeno chile pepper. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Nutrition Facts(Crab and Poblano Soup)
- Per serving:
- 203 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 60 mg chol.,
- 664 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 14 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet