- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line fifteen 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Coat bake cups with cooking spray; set pans aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. In a small bowl combine eggs, milk, yogurt, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to cornmeal mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- If desired, fold Add-Ins into batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. If desired, serve with Cream Cheese and Pepper Jelly Topping.
From the Test Kitchen
Orange-Cranberry Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel.
Honey-Poppy Seed Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 1 tablespoon honey and 2 teaspoons poppy seeds.
Maple-Bacon Muffins: For every 1 cup of batter, fold in 1/4 cup finely chopped, crisp-cooked lower sodium, lower fat bacon; 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup; and 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper.
Cream Cheese and Pepper Jelly Topping:
To serve, spread each warm muffin with 1 tablespoon whipped cream cheese and 1 to 2 teaspoons red pepper jelly or other jelly or preserves.
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Divide batter among three 1-quart freezer bags or 1-cup microwave-safe, airtight containers. Freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw one or more portions of batter overnight in the refrigerator. Or thaw one portion at a time in the microwave on 30 percent power (medium-low) for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, breaking up and stirring batter every 30 seconds. Continue as directed in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Corn Muffins)
- Per serving:
- 126 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 26 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 20 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.