Corn Bread Stuffing with Tomatoes and Sausage
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread corn bread cubes in two 15x10x1-inch baking pans. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage, onions, and garlic over medium-high heat until sausage is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Carefully add wine, stirring to scrape up any crusty brown bits. Stir in dried tomatoes, sage, parsley, and salt. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In an extra-large bowl combine corn bread cubes, sausage mixture, and diced tomatoes. Drizzle corn bread mixture with broth, tossing gently to moisten. Transfer mixture to a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Dot with butter.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes more or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Want a milder version? Use bulk pork sausage in place of the hot Italian sausage. Like spice? Seed and finely chop a jalapeno and cook with the onions. Out of sage? Use an equal amount of parsley.
Nutrition Facts (Corn Bread Stuffing with Tomatoes and Sausage)
- Per serving:
- 479 kcal cal.,
- 23 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 1343 mg sodium,
- 52 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet