- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar, baking powder, and a dash of salt. Beat mixture until combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour by hand. Divide dough in half. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 3 hours or until the dough is easy to handle.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Draw an 11-inch diameter circle on the parchment paper; set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2- to 4-inch snowflake cookie cutter, cut into desired sizes (our larger cutter was 4 inches wide). Arrange cutouts in a wreath shape just inside the marked circle on the prepared cookie sheet (overlap cutouts and leave an open circle 3 to 4 inches in diameter in center). Bake wreath in preheated oven for 16 to 20 minutes or until inner and out edges are golden. Let cool on cookie sheet on wire rack. When cool sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- To assemble wreath, loop organza ribbon around wreath and tie ends into a bow. For hanger, thread floral wired under the ribbon to form a loop. Twist floral wired to secure loop at the the back of the wreath. Makes 24 to 48 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place baked and cooled wreath in an airtight container; cover. Freeze up to 3 months; thaw and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Facts (Welcoming Wreath)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- 10 mg chol.,
- 33 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet