Turkey Hand Cookies
cup butter or margarine
teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground cloves
teaspoon baking soda
cup mild-flavored molasses
tablespoon lemon juice
tablespoons meringue powder
cup warm water
cups sifted powdered sugar
teaspoon cream of tartar
Small candies such as red candies, candy corn, miniature candy-coated semisweet chocolate pieces
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, spices, and soda; beat until combined.
- Add molasses, lemon juice, vanilla, and egg yolk; beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Wrap dough and chill 3 hours or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 5-inch hand-shaped cookie cutter. Or, make a cardboard pattern of a hand and cut around pattern using a sharp knife. Place cookies 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For each cookie, also cut out a triangle (2x3x3-1/2 inches) from the dough and bake as above.
- In a small mixing bowl combine meringue powder, water, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Use at once or cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
- Tint with food coloring as desired. When not using icing, keep it covered with clear plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Place icing in pastry bag fitted with a round writing tip.
- When cookies are cool, use icing to pipe names onto bodies of turkeys. Decorate as desired by using icing to attach candies. Let dry for several hours.
- Store cookies and triangles in an airtight container up to 3 days. Before using, attach triangles (place-card stands) to back of hand. Let dry completely before standing up. Makes 10 place cards.