- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and pepper; beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour and cocoa powder. Gradually beat or stir into egg mixture. Divide dough into two portions. Shape each portion of dough into a 1-1/2-inch-diameter log (about 8 inches long). Wrap each log in plastic wrap and chill about 1 hour or freeze about 30 minutes or until firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Working with one roll at a time, unwrap chilled dough and cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- For each three-cookie stack, spread 1 teaspoon Chocolate Ganache evenly over the bottom side of one cookie. Top with a plain cookie, bottom side down. Spread with 1 teaspoon Chocolate Ganache. Top with another cookie, bottom side down. Pipe remaining Chocolate Ganache over tops of cookie stacks. Chill about 30 minutes or until set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer plain cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, if frozen, before stacking and serving. Or place stacks in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate and whipping cream. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute. Stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Let stand about 30 minutes or until mixture thickens enough to spread. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Triple-Decker Decadence)
- Per serving:
- 252 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 39 mg chol.,
- 133 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 19 g sugar,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet