Swirled Mint Cookies
Dainty, colorful cookies make a light finish to a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday feast.
- Yields: about 72 (2-1/2-inch) or 144 (1-1/4-inch) cookies
- Prep: 45 mins
- Chill: 1 hr 30 mins
- Bake: 6 mins 375°F per batch for smaller cookies or 8 minutes per batch for larger cookies
Swirled Mint Cookies
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour and baking powder; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and extract; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat until well-mixed. Divide dough into three equal portions. Stir red food coloring into one portion, stir green food coloring into another, and leave remaining dough portion plain. Cover; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Divide each color of dough into four equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 1/2-inch-diameter rope. Place one red, one green, and one plain rope side by side. Twist together. Repeat with remaining ropes. Chill dough for 30 minutes. Cut ropes into 1/2-inch-thick slices for larger cookies or 1/4-inch-thick slices for smaller ones. Carefully roll slices into balls, blending colors as little as possible. Place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, flatten each ball to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake in preheated oven until edges are set (allow 8 to 10 minutes for larger cookies; 6 to 8 minutes for smaller ones). Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool. Makes about 72 (2-1/2-inch) or 144 (1-1/4-inch) cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Swirled Mint Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 46 kcal cal.,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 10 mg chol.,
- 29 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet