Sugar Cookie Christmas Tree
teaspoon baking powder
recipe Royal icing (see recipe below)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover; chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness. Using desired tree-shaped cookie cutters, cut out dough.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until the edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire racks and let cool. Frost with Royal Icing and decorate with sprinkles.
cups sifted powdered sugar
teaspoons meringue powder
teaspoon cream of tartar
cup warm water
tablespoons warm water
- Stir together powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the 1/4 cup warm water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes until very stiff. Add the 1 to 2 tablespoons additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make desired consistency.