Strawberry Cheesecake Tartlets
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and ground almonds. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea-size. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of the water. Gradually stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until combined. If necessary, add enough of the additional water to make a dough that starts to cling. Gently knead just until smooth; form dough into a ball. If necessary, cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape pieces into balls. Press dough evenly into the bottoms and up the sides of 24 ungreased 1-3/4-inch muffin cups. Bake in the preheated oven about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix, evaporated milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 2 minutes or until smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the filling into each cookie. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, top each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon of the preserves and a strawberry slice and/or a few sliced almonds. Makes 24 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer filled cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Top with preserves and, if desired, decorate as directed in step 5.