Share your take on this idea!
Upload your photo here.
Upload your photo here.
Spicy Ginger Houses
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, ginger, pepper, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours or until easy to handle.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 6x4-inch house-shaped cookie cutter, cut out dough. cut out small heart-shaped windows from houses if desired. Cut additional heart from scraps for decorations. Place house shapes on the prepared cookie sheet about 1 inch apart; place heart cutouts on a separate prepared cookie sheet because they may bake at a rate different from the heart shapes.
- Bake house shapes in a 350 degree F oven about 10 minutes or until tops of cookies appear dry (bake heart shapes about 8 minutes). Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- When cookies are cool, decorate if desired with heart cutouts, candies, and icing, attaching candies and cutouts with the icing. Makes about 8 (6-inch) cookies.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons meringue powder*. Add 3 tablespoons cold water. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mixture is combined; then beat on medium to high speed for 5 to 8 minutes or until mixture forms stiff peaks. (If mixture seems stiff while beating, add water, 1/2 teaspoons at a time. Icing should be fairly thick for piping. For a thinner glazing consistency, stir in a little more water after beating.) When not using, keep tightly covered to prevent it from drying out; keep refrigerated. Makes 2 cups.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for meringue powder at kitchen, cake-decorating, and crafts shops.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Ginger Houses)
- Per serving:
- 404 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 73 mg chol.,
- 204 mg sodium,
- 56 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet