- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 12 teaspoons milk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar or granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spread oats in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until light brown. Let cool completely. In a food processor, combine 1/3 cup of the cooled, toasted oats; flour; brown sugar; cinnamon; ginger; and cloves. Cover and process until oats are ground. Add butter pieces to food processor. Cover and pulse until mixture just comes together. Form dough into a ball.
2. Pat dough into an 8-inch circle on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make a scalloped edge, if desired. Brush dough circle lightly with milk. Sprinkle with the remaining toasted oats and the coarse sugar; press oat-sugar mixture lightly onto circle. Cut circle into 10 wedges (leave wedges in circle). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. Recut circle into wedges while warm. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. Makes 10 cookies.
- Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.