Shortbread Sandwiches with Fudge Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In bowl combine cherries and/or cranberries and crushed red pepper, if desired; cover with boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain.
- In food processor bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Add butter and soaked cherries and/or cranberries. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. Remove from processor. Gather dough and press in free-form square. Roll between two sheets parchment paper to 12x9-inch rectangle. With knife, cut thirty-six 3x1-inch pieces (do not separate). Slide parchment onto baking sheet and remove top parchment.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from oven. Cool on wire rack.
- For whipped filling, in bowl combine whipping cream, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on high until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble, spread flat side of 18 rectangles with scant tablespoon of whipped filling. Top with remaining shortbread, flat side down.
- Serve with Fudge Sauce. Sprinkle additional cherries and/or cranberries. Makes 18 sandwiches.
- In saucepan combine whipping cream and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat until hot. Remove from heat; stir in semisweet chocolate until melted. Let cool until thick, about 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts (Shortbread Sandwiches with Fudge Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 259 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 44 mg chol.,
- 94 mg sodium,
- 27 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 15 g sugar,
- 2 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet