- In a large mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until softened (about 30 seconds). Add sugar and salt and beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg, peppermint extract or vanilla, and a few drops of green food coloring. Beat mixture well.
- With mixer on low speed gradually add flour to butter mixture and beat well.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into a roll about 1 inch thick and about 8 inches long. Roll each in green colored sugar. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 1 week.
- Unwrap rolls. Slice crosswise so the slices are 1/4 inch thick. To shape each shamrock, place 3 slices of dough with sides touching in a shamrock shape on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cut a stem from a fourth slice and attach to the shamrock (save the rest of this slice for cutting other shamrock stems). Gently push the slices together so each leaflet curves in slightly.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. With a pancake turner lift the cookies onto a cooling rack to cool. Makes 32 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Store the baked cookies in a tightly covered container at room temperature up to 3 days. Or, store the baked cookies in a freezer container in the freezer up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts (Shamrock Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 87 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 19 mg chol.,
- 67 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet