This fun-to-make recipe offers a nifty way to create santa-theme cookies from a triangle-shape cookie cutter.
- Yields: 40 cookies
- Prep: 50 mins
- Chill: 3 hrs
- Bake: 7 mins 375°F per batch
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough until 1/8 inch thick. Using desired-shape cookie cutters, cut out dough (see instructions below). Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Paint with Egg Paint as directed below.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown. Let stand for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Decorate with Snow Frosting, Powdered Sugar Icing, and/or decorative candies as desired. Let stand until set. Makes 40 cookies.
Using a 2-1/2- to 3-1/2-inch diamond-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. For smooth, red caps, brush red-tinted Egg Paint on cap areas before baking cookies. For more textured caps, pipe red-tinted Snow Frosting from a decorating bag fitted with a medium star tip in the cap area of baked cookies. Pipe white Snow Frosting for the hatband, mustache, and beard. For fine details, pipe Powdered Sugar Icing from a decorating bag fitted with a writing tip.
Using a 2 1/2-inch half-moon cookie cutter cut out dough. For smooth, red caps, brush red-tinted Egg Paint on cap areas before baking cookies. Use Powdered Sugar Icing to frost the beard, then sprinkle with plain sanding sugar. Attach candy for eyes and noses with small dabs of frosting. Makes 45 cookies.
Using a 3-inch triangle-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Paint coat area with red-tinted Egg Paint before baking. Pipe Snow Frosting from a decorating bag fitted with a star tip where a textured look is desired. For fine details, pipe Powdered Sugar Icing from a decorating bag fitted with a writing tip. Makes 40 cookies.
Using a 4-inch star-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Paint the coat and hat areas with red-tinted Egg Paint before baking. Pipe Snow Frosting from a decorating bag fitted with a star tip where a textured look is desired. For fine details, pipe Powdered Sugar Icing from a decorating bag fitted with a writing tip. Use dabs of frosting to attach decorative candies for the buttons and noses. Makes 36 cookies.
- In a small bowl stir together egg yolk and water. Stir in paste food coloring to make a paint of desired color. Brush paint on cookies before baking so the egg mixture cooks fully.
- In a medium bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make an icing of drizzling consistency. Tint icing as desired with paste food coloring.
- In a small mixing bowl beat shortening and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in 1-1/3 cups of the powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in 1 tablespoon of the milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar and enough milk to make frosting a piping consistency. Tint frosting as desired with food coloring.