- For browned butter, in small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat; cook until butter is light brown (12 minutes). Remove from heat; pour in large bowl. Chill 1-1/2 hours or freeze 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Set aside 4 teaspoons browned butter. Beat remaining 2/3 cup butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat to combine, scraping bowl. Beat in egg, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in as much flour as you can; stir in remaining. Divide dough in half. On floured surface, roll half the dough at a time to 1/8-inch thickness; using 2-1/2-inch stars, cut out dough. Use small star cutter to cut out centers of half of large stars. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm. Cool on wire rack. Spread filling, top with cutout cookie. Makes 18 sandwich cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Store in airtight container in refrigerator up to to 3 days.
Nutrition facts are given per sandwich cookie.
Browned Butter Filling
- In bowl beat browned butter 30 seconds; beat in vanilla and powdered sugar. If needed, add milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make spreadable. Tint with red or green food coloring.
Nutrition Facts (Sandwich Stars)
- Per serving:
- 209 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 105 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 1 g pro.