Roly-Poly Santa Cookies
cup butter (no substitutes)
Red paste food coloring
Miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
cups sifted powdered sugar
Red cinnamon candies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. With a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Remove 1 cup of the dough. Stir red paste food coloring into remaining dough to make desired color.
- Shape each Santa by making one 3/4-inch ball and four 1/4-inch balls from plain dough. From red dough, shape one 1-inch ball and five 1/2-inch balls. Flatten the 1-inch red ball on an ungreased cookie sheet until 1/2 inch thick. Attach plain 3/4-inch ball for head and flatten until 1/2 inch thick. Attach four 1/2-inch red balls for arms and legs. Shape remaining 1/2-inch red ball into a hat. Place plain 1/4-inch balls at ends of arms and legs for hands and feet. Add chocolate pieces for eyes and buttons.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet. Remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl beat the shortening and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Gradually add 1-1/3 cups of the powdered sugar, mixing well. Add 1 tablespoon milk. Gradually beat in remaining 1 cup powdered sugar and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make a frosting of piping consistency.
- Spoon frosting into a decorating bag fitted with a medium star tip. Pipe mustache, beard, band on hat, and pompom. For nose, attach a cinnamon candy with a small dab of frosting. Makes 12 cookies.
- Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or store undecorated cookies in freezer up to 1 month. Thaw and decorate as above.
Nutrition Facts(Roly-Poly Santa Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 418 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 44 mg chol.,
- 168 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet