- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon seedless red raspberry jam (at room temperature)
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Valentine messages written on parchment paper strips
1. Let egg whites stand, covered, in a large stainless-steel or glass mixing bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degree F. In a small mixing bowl stir together seedless raspberry jam (at room temperature) and 6 drops red food coloring. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine the superfine sugar and powdered sugar; set aside. Uncover eggs and add cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed or until stiff glossy peaks form (tips stand straight up) and sugar is dissolved.
4. Use a spatula to gently fold 1/2 cup of the meringue mixture into the jam; then gently fold jam mixture into the remaining meringue.
5. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, (Wilton 2 D) pipe the meringue into 2-inch freeform hearts, Xs and Os, on the parchment paper. Carefully tuck one end of each valentine message into each meringue.
6. Place baking sheets in preheated oven. Turn off oven. Let meringues dry in oven, with door closed, for 1 hour or until dry and crisp but still light in color. Let cool on parchment paper. Gently remove meringues. Tuck each meringue into a paper bake cup.
- Prepare as above, except omit red raspberry jam and red food coloring. Use a spatula to gently fold 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel into meringue after it has reached stiff glossy peak stage. Proceed as directed above. Makes about 20 meringue cookies.
- Servings Per Recipe 20,
- cal. (kcal) 23,
- carb. (g) 6,
- sugar (g) 5,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- sodium (mg) 6,
- Potassium (mg) 9,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet