Valentine messages written on parchment strips are neatly tucked into each of these individual meringues. A fun dessert for kids.
- Makes: 20 servings
- Yields: about 20 meringue cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 300°F (but turn off when you place the meringues in)
- Stand: 1 hr in oven
- Let egg whites stand, covered, in a large stainless-steel or glass mixing bowl at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300 degree F. In a small mixing bowl stir together seedless raspberry jam (at room temperature) and 6 drops red food coloring. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the superfine sugar and powdered sugar; set aside. Uncover eggs and add cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Add sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating for 5 to 7 minutes on medium speed or until stiff glossy peaks form (tips stand straight up) and sugar is dissolved.
- Use a spatula to gently fold 1/2 cup of the meringue mixture into the jam; then gently fold jam mixture into the remaining meringue.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, (Wilton 2 D) pipe the meringue into 2-inch freeform hearts, Xs and Os, on the parchment paper. Carefully tuck one end of each valentine message into each meringue.
- Place baking sheets in preheated oven. Turn off oven. Let meringues dry in oven, with door closed, for 1 hour or until dry and crisp but still light in color. Let cool on parchment paper. Gently remove meringues. Tuck each meringue into a paper bake cup.
Prepare as above, except omit red raspberry jam and red food coloring. Use a spatula to gently fold 1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel into meringue after it has reached stiff glossy peak stage. Proceed as directed above. Makes about 20 meringue cookies.
- Per serving:
- 23 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 0 g monounsatured fat),
- 0 mg chol.,
- 6 mg sodium,
- 6 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet