Pumpkin Spice Macaroons
- Line three large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl stir together almonds, powdered sugar, and spice; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed just until soft peaks form (tips curl). Stir in nut mixture and food coloring.
- Spoon mixture into a large decorating bag fitted with a large (about 1/2-inch) round tip.* Pipe 1 1/2-inch circles 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Let stand for 30 minutes before baking.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake in the preheated oven for 9 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks. Carefully peel cookies off parchment paper.
- Spread pumpkin butter on bottoms of half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies, bottom sides down.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't own a decorating bag, spoon mixture into a large resealable plastic bag and snip a 1/2-inch hole in one corner of the bag.
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Fill as directed in Step 5.
Nutrition Facts(Pumpkin Spice Macaroons)
- Per serving:
- 65 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 17 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 10 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet