- Prepare Basic Dough. Divide dough into three equal portions. Tint two portions of the dough with red paste food coloring; tint one portion with green. If necessary, cover and chill dough for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Divide red dough into thirty 1-inch balls. Divide green dough into thirty 1/2-inch balls. For each cookie, divide a red ball into five smaller balls. Roll each ball between palms of hands to lengthen and flatten slightly. Pinch one end, then flatten to form petals. Divide a green ball into three smaller balls and form leaves for petals. If desired, use a toothpick to form a leaf design in green dough.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, arrange five petals and three leaves to form a 3-inch poinsettia. Repeat with remaining dough, placing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven about 12 minutes or until edges are firm and cookies are slightly puffed. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Attach a round tip to the frosting tube. Pipe five or six small yellow dots in the center of each poinsettia. Makes 30 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.