Pineapple and Macadamia Nut Shortbread
A drizzle of pineapple icing adds flavor and a festive look to this simple shortbread cookie recipe. A buttery-rich addition to a Christmas cookie tray.
- Makes: 36 servings
- Yields: 3 dozen cookies
- Prep: 20 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 325°F per batch
- Stand: 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Stir in macadamia nuts and candied pineapple. Form mixture into a ball and knead until nearly smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut dough into desired shapes. Reroll scraps no more than once. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bottoms just start to brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Transfer Pineapple Icing to a decorating bag and pipe designs on cookies, as desired. Let stand until icing is set. Makes 3 dozen.
Place cookies in layers separated by waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Or freeze undecorated cookies for up to 3 months; thaw cookies, then pipe with icing.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in enough pineapple juice to make an icing of piping consistency.