These light, melt-in-your-mouth peppermint-flavor dessert meringues are virtually fat-free and fun to eat.
- Makes: 45 servings
- Yields: 45 cookies
- Prep: 30 mins
- Stand: 1 hr
- Bake: 15 mins 300°F
- Place egg whites in a medium mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Line two large cookie sheets with brown paper or foil; set aside.
- Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight) and sugar dissolves. Quickly beat in peppermint extract. Tint pink with several drops of red food coloring, if desired.
- Using a pastry tube with a large star decorating tip, pipe cookies onto prepared cookie sheets (form cookies about 1-1/2 inches in diameter). Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Turn off oven and let cookies dry in oven with door closed about 30 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets. Cover and store in a dry place. Makes 45 cookies.
Nutrition Facts (Peppermint Stars)
- Per serving:
- 9 kcal cal.,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat,
- 0 mg chol.,
- 2 mg sodium,
- 2 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 0 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet