- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1. Melt chocolate in double boiler set over simmering water. Remove pan from heat; set aside to cool.
2. Move oven rack to center position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or grease lightly.
3. With electric mixer on medium-high speed beat egg whites until foamy, about 30 seconds. Add a pinch of salt and beat until soft peaks form. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating for 10 seconds after each addition, until stiff peaks form, about 6 minutes* total. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Fold in the coconut and melted chocolate.
4. Drop batter by the teaspoon, 1 inch apart, on prepared baking sheet (batter will stiffen as it stands). Bake until macaroons puff, 10 to 13 minutes. (Do not allow the edges to brown.) Cool on baking sheet on wire rack, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer macaroons to rack to cool completely.
5. Repeat with remaining macaroon batter. Serve immediately. Makes about 60 cookies.
- *If using a portable mixer, you will need to be increase beating time.
- Servings Per Recipe 60,
- cal. (kcal) 56,
- Fat, total (g) 3,
- sat. fat (g) 2,
- carb. (g) 8,
- fiber (g) 1,
- pro. (g) 1,
- sodium (mg) 15,
- iron (mg) 0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet