Painted Sour-Cream Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in sour cream, egg, vanilla, and lemon peel until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill dough for 1 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a well-floured surface roll half of the dough at a time until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using desired cookie cutters, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- Spread tops of cooled cookies with Royal Icing. Allow icing to dry completely. Using a small paintbrush, paint designs on each cookie with food coloring. Makes 48 cookies
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies, frost with Royal Icing and decorate as desired.
- Beat together meringue powder or powdered egg whites, confectioners sugar, and water in bowl until peaks form, 10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts (Painted Sour-Cream Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 63 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 1 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 34 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet