- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in orange juice until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the 1 tablespoon orange peel and remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a food processor or a blender container combine the 3/4 cup granulated sugar and the 2 teaspoons orange peel. Cover and process or blend until mixture is combined. Stir in edible glitter, if desired. Roll the baked cookies, still slightly warm, in the sugar mixture. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. Makes 48 cookies.
From the Test Kitchen
To form a tree shape, stack some of the balls using canned vanilla frosting to hold the layers together. Garnish with narrow strips of lime and lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Orange Snowballs)
- Per serving:
- 76 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 10 mg chol.,
- 6 mg sodium,
- 10 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet