Rolled oats add texture and healthful goodness to shortbread cookies.
- Yields: 16 wedges, 24 rounds, 24 strips
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Stir in rolled oats. Form mixture into a ball and knead until smooth. To make shortbread wedges:
- On an ungreased cookie sheet pat or roll the dough into an 8-inch circle. Make a scalloped edge. Cut circle into 16 wedges. Leave wedges in the circle. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bottom just starts to brown and center is set. Cut circle into wedges again while warm. Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Makes 16 wedges. To make shortbread rounds:
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Use a 1-1/2-inch cookie cutter to cut 24 rounds. Place them 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the 325 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 24 rounds. To make shortbread strips:
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough into an 8x6-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Using a knife, cut into twenty-four 2x1-inch strips. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the 325 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 24 strips.
From the Test Kitchen
Nutrition information is per cookie wedge.
Nutrition Facts (Oatmeal Shortbread)
- Per serving:
- 92 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 15 mg chol.,
- 58 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 1 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet